Obsessed

Obsession searches
Sniff
Notice
Scan these eyes adapted in night

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Translating Zombie to English

  
Today is a day I've been looking forward to since December 2006. Today the most excellent manga series "Highschool of the Dead" is officially released in English. This series holds a special place for me as it was the first series I started reading online without already having read some of it in book form, and was the first that I started reading as it was translated. The waiting for each chapter while vexing was part of the intrigue letting me for many theories while I waited, this was long before I discovered webcomics.
More after the jump. 



 

  
 
It is not an exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for this series it would never have occurred to me to translate Cybersix by myself. If I hadn't been talking on the forms and waiting for updates on how far the translation was along I would never have even contemplated trying something like it on my own after Zaanen stopped translating Cybersix.
 
As far as I know Highschool of the Dead is the only "walking corpse Night of the Living Dead" type zombie series in Japan. The series is high in action, story, and fan-service. I find the characters to be simply awesome in both attitude, appearance, and capability. They carve their way through swarms of Undead like a lightsaber through melted butter and they do it realistically (i.e. no magic or super powers- other than the 'most common superpower' for the ladies) to boot. Earlier in the summer it received a kick-ass anime, though it did ramp up the jiggle and some personality traits earlier than they appeared in the manga.
 
Previously the only way for you to read HotD in English was to read the translations by Xamayon, but once it was licensed they dropped the series as is their policy. Now you can continue to read it at Torpedo Tits who translates chapters as they are released starting with chapter 27
 
Sites of interest for those few who are still reading.
 
Once I get the actual book I'll review/compare it to the Xamayon scans that will probably be on Saturday along with Master Piece Grimlock or Dead Space 2 being on my shopping list.

An interesting AMV for ya all, very nicely done and only using stuff fromt he first two or three episodes.


No comments:

Post a Comment